Sunday 22 February 2009

Daryl King

1) Age?
24 (I think)


2) Where do you live?
Axedale (winner of tidy town 1972)


3) What is your job and where do you work?
Technology Teacher at Bendigo South East College (Flora Hill)


4) Number of 24hr Races?
7 raced, 13 as manager or pit crew

5) As a HPV teacher at Bendigo South East Secondary (Formerly Flora Hill) your job is partially based around teaching Students how to design and construct a HPV and race it at all the major races. What is it that you enjoy most about your job?
It's great to work with young people who are incredibly enthusiastic about designing and constructing HPV’s. I get a real buzz out of seeing there ideas come into reality and knowing that they have achieved them of there own accord. It is also fantastic to see that they can be so successful in vehicles that they have produced against some opponents who rely heavily on teachers and parents to design and construct there vehicles.

6) As Technical director of BYR since the team was formed in 2003 you have designed and built some very quick vehicles. What is your best memory/moment from a HPV race?
Would have to be the finish of the 03 AIPP. To win on debut by only 10 seconds was remarkable and I don’t think that we will see that again.

7) As a member of the team since 2003 what is it that motivates you to come back to BYR year after year?
It’s just a fantastic engineering challenge. To work with like minded people who have common aims is a real motivator.

8) What is the Hardest part about BYR?
I think the hard yards, the long nights building the vehicles, the hard days out training and also coordinating people from across the state.

9) And Finally BYR don't promote crashes but they are an unavoidable part of our sport. What is the most spectacular crash you have been involved in or seen?
Would probably have to say that the most interesting crash that I have been involved in was at Wonthaggi in 06. The vehicle was BY-04 and I got in during the heaviest rain I have ever seen at a race. I got through the first hour without any dramas but into my second I came down the hill through the twisty section and round the corner I was greeted by around half a dozen vehicles that were mostly upside down and I joined them. By the time I was put up the right way I was facing up the track and noticed that at least a dozen other vehicles had also joined me on my ceiling.
Top Stuff!!

Stay tuned for more team profiles as we continue our long journey to Murray Bridge.

No comments:

Post a Comment