Saturday 7 March 2009

Nigel Preston


Here we interview BYR's very own Nigel Preston about his extensive HPV racing career and his involvement in our sport all around Australia. Nige is just one of BYR's original members that we have welcomed back into the team for 2008 as he gives us an insight about what he enjoys about BYR.

1)Age? 25

2)Where do you live? Hawthorn

3) What is your job and where do you work?
I'm a Youth Marketer at World Vision Australia. I coordinate our youth activist website STIR, as well as our offerings on YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, Bebo & MySpace.

4) Number of Races? 10, since 1998!

5) As a Key member of the RACV Energy Breakthrough (EB) Committee what is it that drives you to volunteer your time to organise and run what is arguably the most exciting race on the HPV racing calendar?
The EB is such a unique and - as you put it - exciting event that I am driven to give other young people the best experience there too. I was hooked by the EB back in 1996. I stayed awake all night inspired by my brother Luke's riding. As my wife says: 'it's in my blood'.


6) After having leaving BYR after Murray Bridge in 2006 vowing never to return. What is it that enticed you back to the team. What did you miss about it?
I missed the combination of the engineering & physical challenge. I missed doing things with my mates. Men don't tend to just hang out, we need to DO something (unless there's beer involved). I also find that BYR brings out my best. I was very upset when I left BYR in '06.


7)You have been at just about every HPV race for the last 10 years what sticks in your mind as your best memory/moment from HPV Racing?There are quite a few, but I think Winning 2003 by 10 seconds when I passed Team Ballistic on the last lap. People still mention that to me. That was special.
Other highlight's include:

  • Racing with my bro Luke & Tim Ralton in '06
  • Arriving at the EB for the first time as a competitor in '98
  • Seeing Daryl King lead the next generation to victory in last years EB.

    8) What is the best thing about being involved in BYR? The laughs. Rallying together around a common goal and going for it. There's No holding back. We're all emotionally invested in making the best vehicle go as fast as it can.

    9) What is the Hardest part about BYR? For me, travel back to Benders & trying to feel connected to a team that's 150km away. Training is sometimes easy and sometimes hard.

10) And Finally BYR don't promote crashes but they are an unavoidable part of our sport. What is the most spectacular crash you have been involved in or seen? Qualifying, Molten Chicken, 2001.I'd spent the whole session telling everyone to keep it on 3 wheels before I hit crash corner at full speed and put it into the barrier.
The most spectacular I've seen is probably Brad Doyle at the EB in about '99. He came into crash corner, barrel rolled about 4 times, emerged from the wreckage to salute a cheering crowd.

No comments:

Post a Comment